Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Memo Board

Okay, so I was sitting here yesterday all frustrated with my still not working email. I decided to clean out a drawer that I have a bunch of stuff in. I call it my 'to alter' drawer. lol!! I found this huge puzzle piece and had to do something with it. I came up with the idea of a memo board type thing because in that drawer, I also have a HUGE stack of these tiny 1 1/2" x 2" post it notes that I do nothing with. Well, now they have a purpose!! I covered the puzzle piece with blue Cascata cardstock. Inked the edges, stamped the florals around it. I then stamped some flowers on salmon Cascata with Versamark and embossed in clear. Cut those out. I punched some smaller flowers out of Cascata also. I put the flowers all on a piece of dense foam and used my stylus to press into the centers to add dimension. I added Stickles glue to the centers and attached them randomly to the edge of my board. I stamped the same florals on a piece of Cascata and embossed in clear. I adhered it to the chipboard 'R' and trimmed out. I stamped 'emember' on blue Cascata and layered onto a strip of salmon and attached it with the 'R' for the title. I made a cover (which I also stamped and embossed with Versamark) for the post it notes so I can easily remove the final page of a used up pad and replace it with a new pad of paper. Originally, It was just a free moving cover, but I didn't like the front flapping freely. lol So, I made a small little buckle closure. I cut a strip of paper and folding it around the bottom of the cover and post it notes. I glued it securely to the back and then made a little loop of cardstock, flattened it, glued it to the cover. Added a cut out flower to camouflage my loop and then the strip of cardstock easily slips through the loop and keeps it tightly closed when not using it. I attached this to the memo board. The pencil is not covered with the cardstock. Instead, I made a 'barrel' that the pencil will easily slip in and out of. At first, I was challenged with how to make the cardstock roll around into a smooth tube. I discovered that I could wet the Cascata cardstock with a few mists of water and it would easily mold around the pencil. I didn't make it tight around the pencil, because I want to be able to get the pencil in and out! Then I used some removeable tape to secure it as it dried. Once dry, I removed the tape and added a thin bead of glue down the edge and glued it securely. I then glued it to the memo board and added the flowers after it was dry. Okay...now my next dilemma...I had a piece of the puzzle that stuck out the right side and annoyed me with his blankness. I decided that I would add a way to attach an important paper to the board. I got out a bulldog clip and hated its glaring blackness. It just wouldn't work with my soft colored piece!! So, I gessoed the black metal with 3 coats, sanding in between each one. Then I painted with acrylic paint and sprayed a matte sealer over it. I actually did two coats of sealer to protect it as much as possible. For painting, I put a sheet of wax paper between the jaws so they wouldn't stick together. The finishing touch was a bow at the top and magnets on the back.

Materials used:
Cascata-Blue, Salmon (WorldWin Papers)
Bella Flora stamps (Inque Boutique)
Alphabet stamps (Stamp Craft)
Distress Ink-Broken China (Ranger)
Versamark (Tsukineko)
Stickles glitter glue-Turqoise, Crystal (Ranger)
Acrylic Dabber-Salmon (Ranger)
R chipboard letter (Zsiage)
Flower paper punch (Fiskars)
Ribbon (American Crafts)
Bulldog clip, post it note pad, pencil
Gesso
Super 77 spray adhesive (3M)
Crafter's Pick Glue
Tape N Roller Plus (Kokuyo)

5 comments:

WendyP said...

awesome - this looks fantabulistical !!!!
hugs w

Unknown said...

This is just adorable! I am SO close to being "into" altered arts...finally...and it is all YOUR doing!!!

Sue said...

I love this idea, Robin! I have a
regular memo board in my craft room which was altered and I received in a swap; but making a
memo board from one of the large puzzle pieces is really a great idea! I may have to make one for another room of my house! Thanks for all of the tips and techniques!

Ramie :-) said...

That is AWESOME!!! Very cool Robin!

Ramie

Art By Wanda said...

This is way cool!!!